Ensuring safety and creating maximum comfort are the main tasks that home automation should solve. Property protection, reliable, uninterrupted operation of equipment, prevention of emergencies, and possible outside intrusion are the main functions of smart home security. Depending on the owners’ wishes and device features, the system can provide a different level of security, which, together with a high degree of comfort, will guarantee peace and well-being.
What are the main areas of security?
How can a smart home make your life better? Its smart security system focuses on engineering reliability and personal safe.
Engineering reliability is provided by:
- protection against leaks;
- protection against short circuit in the power supply;
- protection against fire (smoke sensor);
- autonomous power supply (diesel generator);
- automatic fire extinguishing system;
- alarm for calling service providers.
Personal safety and human health are provided by:
- fence intruder detection;
- creating the illusion of being at home;
- automated control of access to the premises;
- video surveillance of the adjacent territory;
- automatic lighting of the territory upon penetration;
- control of protective shutters;
- protection from fire, gas leaks, etc.
- video baby monitor.
Thus, smart things for home security system are designed to ensure the safety of your home, to protect against any emergencies. This includes protection against intrusion using video surveillance cameras, automation of doors, gates, roller shutters, burglar alarms, and prevention of emergencies. If you forget to turn off your iron, hair styler, or oven the system will do it for you, and in the event of any fire or smoke, a fire alarm will be triggered. The system will immediately notify the owner and relevant services about water or gas leaks.
What does the security system include?
Let’s speak about the smart technology for your home in more detail.
Security and fire alarm Its purposes are:
- integration with the central controller of intelligent home systems;
- control over the detectors malfunction, attempts to open, self-testing of the system;
- notification of operations control center about fire, smoke, gas leakage, or water leakage;
- notification of owners about fire, smoke, gas leakage, or water leakage by SMS;
- the ability to control certain zones, for instance, safe or a closet, followed by SMS notification to the owner’s phone (curious nannies or guests, storage of weapons or ammunition, child safety).
Video surveillance systems
- allows you to observe your home from any distance;
- controlled video cameras are installed in the most important or potentially dangerous areas of the house/apartment;
- the camera can work constantly or turn on from motion;
- cameras can be installed both hidden and outdoor;
- the opportunity to watch from a computer at work, mobile phone;
- the ability to display certain cameras on the TV (picture-in-picture) to organize the video baby monitor when you are in another room.
- allows you to quickly open a gate, entrance, or apartment door;
- intercom cameras can be displayed on any TV;
- video registration of the internal intercom system allows viewing what happens in your absence;
- a possibility to arrange video intercom communication between floors, rooms, or adjacent premises (for example, a guest house or just a neighbor’s house).
Access control systems
Smart control security solutions can be standalone, centralized, and versatile. The first ones are suitable for controlling one or several barriers, without transmitting information to the central console or without control from the operator. Centralized (networked) ones allow controlling barriers with information exchange between the central console and other systems. An operator can manage them.
Finally, the universal security systems include the functions of both standalone and networked systems, operate in a network mode under the guidance of a central control unit and go offline when network equipment and central device failure, or when communication is lost.
How it works
The intelligent security system connects to your home Wi-Fi for remote access via smartphone and APP. Entry-level systems usually include a pair of door and window sensors, a motion detector, and a hub that communicates with these devices using one or more wireless protocols such as Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, Zigbee, or a proprietary network.
Almost every smart device for home security can collaborate with others in a wireless environment and you can control it by customizable rules. For instance, you can create rules to turn on lights when motion is detected, unlock doors when a fire alarm is triggered, and start camera recording when a sensor is triggered.
Almost all the best smart systems for home security in a residential building are equipped with a mobile application that allows using your smartphone as a command center for activating and deactivating the system, creating rules, adding and removing components, and receiving push notifications when the alarm starts. Most applications also allow viewing live and recorded video, lock and unlock doors, change thermostat and alarm settings.
Best security systems
Starter kits often include motion and door openers, gas, and smoke detectors. These security devices are enough for basic home security. With such systems, when used correctly, fires, burglaries, and domestic accidents are not scary. In the modern market of digital gadgets, there are many ready-made security solutions. If desired, you can supplement almost any such set with additional sensors, expanding the functionality of the system.
In order to choose the best option for smart home security to protect your home, we have specially selected several popular and well-tested systems.
- ADT + Samsung SmartThings. This home security starter kit is compatible with both Alexa and Google Home, as well as Zigbee and Z-Wave communication protocols. Attractive cost is an advantage. In addition, its installation will allow you to minimize false alarms, and the absence of long-term contracts will be a pleasant bonus.
- SimpliSafe includes a base station, siren, and many supported sensors for motion detection, open doors and windows, fire or water leak detection. The main advantages are compactness, professional monitoring 24/7, ease of installation. The latest innovations include video doorbells and a smart lock.
- Vivint Smart Home offers 24/7 security monitoring and remote control of door locks, cameras, heating system,s and one of the best video intercom solutions. Wall-mounted touchscreen, user-friendly app, Alexa / Google Assistant support are for easy control. The disadvantage is the high cost.
- Ring Alarm Security Kit is easy to install and offers affordable professional monitoring, but compatibility with most third-party devices is not yet supported. In addition to the base station, it offers opening and leakage sensors, motion and smoke detectors.
- Honeywell Smart is a DIY system that includes an Amazon Alexa speaker, built-in 1080p camera, motion detection, face recognition, siren, window and door sensors, and more. There is also support for Google Assistant, IFTTT, and Z-Wave Plus. However, there is no possibility for professional monitoring.
- Abode Iota is an easy-to-install all-in-one security system equipped with a 1080 p camera, motion sensor, multiple wireless radios, built-in siren. Device support is extensive with Abode’s proprietary SecureRF radio, Zigbee PRO, Z-Wave, and built-in Wi-Fi, allowing up to 160 devices to be connected. Partnerships with Yale, Kwikset, Hue, Ecobee, Philips Hue.
- Nest Secure is a stylish smart home security solution that is easy to install and configure. The system includes a motion sensor and a sensor for protecting windows and doors. It is possible to purchase the required number of sensors and home security cameras and assemble the system at your request. The downside is the cost and lack of integration with other systems.
Well-chosen smart solutions for home security are a way to prevent, albeit infrequent, but especially unpleasant situations in life, or to handle them with the least material damage. You will have an opportunity to live more calmly and more conveniently, without flinching at the slightest suspicious noise, without being afraid to go to the country, on vacation, or on a business trip.